Beginning to Write Poetry (5-week course)
A five-session course for total beginners and for more experienced poets looking to refresh and revisit the basics, taught by professional poet and poetics scholar Cat Woodward.
Beginning to Write Poetry is a series of fun and practical lessons where we learn by doing. Students will:
- expand their horizons and discover their creative range.
- build their expressive tool kit.
- learn about the importance of a poem’s arrangement on the page.
- do structured but exploratory writing exercises.
- edit their writing to be the best version it can be.
The course is designed to develop individual creativity and a sense of personal style while also teaching basic skills, practical techniques and fundamental understanding.
Lessons are 2 hours long.
Course fee: $220. Tuesdays 7-9 PM, 10 April - 8 May.
Cat Woodward's first collection Sphinx was published in 2017 by Salò Press. She is currently finishing her PhD thesis in lyric and robot voice. Her poems have appeared in Tears in the Fence, Lighthouse, The Literateur, Ink, Sweat & Tears, Visual Verse and others. Cat is from the UK and lives in Nelson.